Melvin Trinidad -- aka, Chef Smelly -- loves to celebrate Mardi Gras in a big way and stopped by to share the recipe for his signature Mardi Gras snack.
You'll find more information about Chef Smelly on Instagram.
Cajun Lumpia with Gumbo Dipping Sauce
Lumpia (aka eggrolls)
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1/2 pound andouille sausage (casing removed, fine dice)
- 1/2 pound oregon bay shrimp
- 1 green bell pepper (fine dice)
- 2 stalks celery (fine dice)
- 1/2 yellow onion (fine dice)
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Egg wash (1 egg beaten)
- 1 pack Lumpia wrapper sheets; found in the freezer section of Asian markets
- Cajun seasoning
Gumbo Dipping Sauce
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 quart chicken stock (homemade or low-sodium)
- 2/3 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon gumbo file
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Preheat deep fryer 350F
1. Heat sautepan over medium heat. Add vegetable oil and saute andouille sausage until lightly browned; 5-7 minutes. With a slotted spoon, remove sausage to a paper lined plate
2. In the same pan, add green bell pepper, celery, onion, salt and pepper. Saute until onions are translucent; 3-5 minutes. Add chicken and cook for additional 1-2 minutes. Place mixture in colander to drain excess moisture and oil.
3. Setup Egg-rolling station:
a. Eggroll wrappers
b. Bowl of chicken and vegetables
c. Plate of andouille sausage
d. Oregon bay shrimp
4. Separate 1 eggroll wrapper onto board. Onto lower third of wrapper, add 2 Tablespoons of chicken and vegetable mixture, 4-5 pieces sausage, 4-5 shrimp. Brush egg wash onto top end of the wrapper. Roll wrapper from the bottom, tightly wrapping the filling. Halfway through rolling, tightly fold in the sides and continue rolling until firmly sealed with eggwashed end. Repeat with remaining wrappers and filling. (can be stored for freezing)
5. Deep fry eggrolls 3-5 minutes until golden brown. Sprinkle with Cajun seasoning. Serve with Gumbo dipping sauce
Gumbo dipping sauce:
1. Heat oil over medium- heat. Whisk the flour into the oil (caution oil will sizzle). Reduce heat to medium and continue stirring for 30 minutes until the roux mixture is a chocoalte brown color.
2. Carefully whisk in chicken broth. Bring to a boil then reduce to simmer.
3. Add worcestershire, hot sauce, gumbo file, salt and pepper. Serve warm alongside eggrolls.