Health & Wellness Enthusiast Alisa Fairbanks showed Tra'Renee how to make a crustless butternut squash pie. Click here for more information on Alisa.
Thanksgiving is just over one week away and I’m sure many of you are thinking about your dinner menu. Dessert is always a part of Thanksgiving dinner and most often, it’s pumpkin pie. As much as I love pumpkin pie, I think I adore butternut squash pie even more. I’ve tested plenty of both and butternut squash always tends to yield a bit more flavor. It’s just as easy to prepare and the steps are exactly the same as preparing pumpkin pie. Oh, and Jesse loves it too. He’s the one that convinced me to make it prior to Thanksgiving…just to make sure it still tasted good.
For the butternut squash puree (same for pumpkin):
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Cut the butternut squash (about a 2-2.5 lb squash) in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Place flesh side down on a baking pan and add about 1/4-inch of water or so. Bake for 60 minutes in the oven or until flesh is soft.
- Allow to cool and then scoop the flesh out of the skin and place into a food processor. Process until completely smooth — you don’t want any lumps!
- Then, place in a fine mesh colander/strainer (line with cheesecloth if it’s not fine enough) and drain overnight in the refrigerator (obviously, you’ll place a bowl underneath the strainer to catch the liquid). Ta-da, beautiful and perfect squash puree!
- 2 cups canned or fresh butternut squash puree (see steps above for fresh)
- 2 eggs, preferably pasture-raised
- 1/4 cup raw honey
- 3/4 cup pure coconut cream (I use this brand) OR full-fat coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp grass-fed butter or ghee, melted, plus extra for greasing the pie dish
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- Pinch of sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9-inch pie dish with a little butter and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, add all the ingredients. Process until smooth with a hand mixer or the stand mixer. Scrape down sides of the bowl with a spatula and process again.
- Once smooth and blended, pour the mixture into the greased pie dish.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes in the preheated oven. Once done, allow to cool completely before serving.
- Cut into desired size slices and serve with homemade coconut milk whipped cream, if desired. Or, if tolerated, serve with homemade dairy-based whipped cream.