Melvin Trinidad a.k.a. "Chef Smelly" made fun, festive gingerbread waffles! Click here for more information about "Chef Smelly".
Gingerbread Waffles with Orange Spiced Syrup
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup Mochiko flour (sweet rice flour found in Asian)
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Cooking spray
- Powdered sugar for dusting topping
- In a large bowl, combine flour, mochiko flour, sugar, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk milk, coconut milk, eggs, and melted butter. Pour mixture into flour bowl. Stir to combine. Do not overmix, little lumps are okay.
- Preheat waffle iron to desired doneness. Pour 3/4 cup batter into waffle maker and cook according to waffle iron directions (5-6 minutes)
- Dust with powdered sugar and top with orange spiced syrup.
Orange Spiced Syrup
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup Grand Marnier
- 2 sticks cinnamon
- 1/4 inch piece ginger, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves
- Preheat a small saucepan over medium heat. Remove the pan from the heat and add Grand Marnier. Return saucepan to the stove and let alcohol burn off 1-2 minutes.
- Add orange juice, sugar, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves. Stir. Allow to simmer 5 minutes. Let syrup cool and serve with gingerbread waffles.