If the smell of those mall cinnamon rolls gets you every time, now you can make them for yourself -- but healthier! Tiffany Kent, author of the blog, "Table to Soul," stopped by to share her delicious recipe.
Mall Cinnamon Roll Knockoffs: The World’s Best Fluffy, Flaky Cinnamon Rolls (GF+DF)
Tiffany Kent – TabletoSoul.com
For the Dough:
- 1 package Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Pizza Crust Mix with yeast packet included
- 1/3 cup vegan spread, such as “Earth Balance” (or unsalted butter) melted for 45 seconds in the microwave
- 1/4 cup organic sugar
- 2 eggs*
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
For the Filling:
- 4-5 Tbsp. melted coconut oil
- 3/4 cup organic brown sugar
- 3 tbsp. cinnamon
- 1 tbsp. white sugar
For the Frosting:
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 2-3 tbsp. melted coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-2 tablespoons warm almond milk
1. Preheat the oven to 375-degrees F.
2. Heat the almond milk for 45 seconds in the microwave in a microwave safe bowl. Temperature should be warm to touch (warmth helps the yeast grow). Then, sprinkle yeast packet over the warm almond milk and set aside for 10 minutes. Yeast should “fizz” a little.
3. Combine brown sugar, cinnamon, and white sugar from "For the Filling" in a bowl. Set aside.
4. In a large bowl, combine pizza crust mix and 1/4 cup sugar. Add in melted vegan spread or butter, eggs (one at a time), and yeast mixture. Blend until thoroughly mixed using a dough hook on your Kitchen Aid or with a handheld mixture on low. (Try not to over mix, as this will make your rolls a bit tough.)
5. Lay out a piece of wax paper, or clear a clean area of counter space. Drizzle 1/2 tbsp. melted coconut oil over a surface area of 16x9" and get hands wet to work with dough. Lay out the dough and use a ceramic rolling pin to spread dough until it is roughly 1/2-3/4" thick. Once dough is approximately 16" in length and 9" in width (and about ¾” thick), drizzle 1-2 Tbsp. of the melted coconut oil over the upward facing surface area. Use a spoon to evenly sprinkle topping mixture over melted coconut oil, covering the entire surface area of dough.
6. Carefully roll the dough at the long side until a "log" forms. Use a knife to cut the dough into 1-1/2" pieces. Place cinnamon rolls in a prepared 8x8 pan and let them rise in a warm place, covered with a dry clean towel, for 30 minutes.
7. Just before putting the cinnamon rolls into the oven, drizzle with an remaining 1 tbsp. melted coconut oil.
8. Bake for 22-24 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Cool, then frost.
9. For a simple frosting, combine 2 cups organic confectioners' sugar, 2-3 tablespoons melted coconut oil, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, and 1-2 tablespoons warm almond milk in a bowl. Continue adding almond milk until you’ve reached your desired thickness.
Rolls are always best right out of the oven. If storing for up to 3 days, keep rolls covered, and heat in the microwave for 30-45 seconds before consuming.
*To make this recipe vegan, replace the eggs by combining 2 tbsp. Flaxseed Meal with 6 tbsp. of water; mix and let stand 5 minutes. Then, include in the recipe as you would eggs.