Nutrition & Fitness Expert Rajiv Harry made a hearty, healthy root vegetable soup. Click here for more information about Rajiv.
Lentil and Root Vegetable Soup
- • 1 TBLS Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- •3 med sized purple Potatoes cubed 1/2 inch
- •2 large carrots cubed 1/2 inch
- •2 med sized turnips cubed 1/2 inch
- • 1/2 yellow onion cubed 1/2 inch
- • 2 cloves of garlic chopped
- •1 cup dried lentils
- • I bunch kale cleaned and ripped
- • enough water or low sodium vegetable broth to cover
- • 1 tsp chili powder
- • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- • 1/4 tsp dried basil
- • 1/4 tsp paprika
- • 1/8 tsp ground turmeric
- • 1/8 tsp cayenne
- • 1/8 tsp ground ginger
- • Salt and pepper to taste
- Method of Preparation:
- •preheat large stock pot to med/ hi
- •add onions and root vegetables and sauté, stirring occasionally for 3-5 mins
- • add garlic, lentils, dry spices and toast lightly to enhance flavor. 2-4 mins
- • add water or stock, enough to cover all dry ingredients. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 30 mins or until lentils are soft.
• after 25 mins add kale and allow to cook lightly for the rest of the duration.
• season with salt and pepper to finish
•serve in your favorite bowl and ENJOY!
Makes 4-6 servings
Prep Time: 10mins
Cook time: 35-40 mins
Lentils are an amazing Heart Healthy food! They are packed with protein, magnesium and iron just to name a few!