Fabiola Donnelly shares tasty recipes in her blog, "Not Just Baked." She stopped by to share one of her most versatile recipes -- and it's healthy too! You'll find Fabi's recipe for Freekeh, Spinach & Leek Frittata on her blog and below.
Freekeh, Spinach and Leek Frittata
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 large leeks, whites and light green parts only, thinly sliced, washed to remove grit
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 6 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup cooked freekeh or brown rice, cooled completely
- 1/2 cup cheese, use shredded fontina, fresh grated romano, or aged white cheddar
- 4 tablespoons chopped parsley, divided
- fine sea salt and freshly ground pepper
Place oven rack in top third of oven and preheat to 325 degrees.
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium low heat in an oven safe 10 inch skillet. Add leeks, stir and cook for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
While leeks cook, in a large bowl add eggs and milk, whisk really well to combine using a large fork. Then add cooked freekeh or rice, cheese, 3 tablespoons parsley, and 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Once leeks are cooked, add to egg mixture, fold in leeks and spinach using a spatula.
Add 1 tablespoon to the skillet over medium heat. Pour egg mixture into pan and cook for 3-5 minutes, until edges are set. Once edges set, place pan in oven and cook for 25-30 minutes or very lightly golden brown on top.
Remove from oven, slice and serve with fresh chopped parsley. Store leftovers in the fridge for one day. Enjoy cold oe very lightly warmed for lunch or dinner with a salad.