Cooking Instructor, Erika Augustyn bakes her Peppermint Sugar Cookie Bars with Kara. For more information on Erika, CLICK HERE.
Peppermint Sugar Cookie Bars
For the cookies
• 2 ½ cups all purpose flour
• ½ teaspoon baking powder
• ½ teaspoon salt
• ½ cup butter, softened
• ¼ cup powdered sugar
• 1 egg
• ¼ cup sour cream OR plain Greek yogurt
• 1 teaspoon vanilla
For the frosting
• ½ cup butter
• 2 tablespoons cream cheese, softened
• 3 cups powdered sugar
• ½ teaspoon peppermint extract
• ¼ cup finely crushed candy canes
1. Preheat oven to 375F. Line a 9x13 inch baking dish with foil and coat lightly with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
3. In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugars. Add egg, sour cream, and vanilla and mix well. Gradually add flour mixture into the wet ingredients and continue to mix until the dough comes together and is no longer crumbly.
4. Gently press dough into bottom of prepared pan. Bake 20-22 minutes until golden brown and the top no longer appears “wet”. Allow cookies to cool completely.
5. When the bars have cooled, prepare the frosting. In a medium bowl, whip butter for 2-3 minutes until fluffy. Add cream cheese and mix well. Gradually mix in powdered sugar until completely combined. Mix in peppermint extract. Spread frosting over cooled bars. Sprinkle with crushed candy canes. Cut into squares or triangles and serve. Store in an airtight container.