Cooking Instructor, Sophia Worgan made scary but healthy mummy brownies for Halloween. For more information about Sophia-click here.
Mummy Black Bean Brownies by Sophia Worgan
• 2 cups Bob’s Red Mill black beans, cooked in water
• 4 tbsp. Bob’s Red Mill gluten-free egg replacer (or 4 eggs)
• 8 tbsp. water (omit if you use eggs and not the egg replacer)
• ½ cup oil (coconut adds a lovely flavor, if not use canola or any other unflavored oil)
• 1 cup cocoa powder
• 1 cup sugar
• 2 tbsp. vanilla extract
• 3 tsp. baking powder
• Large pinch of sea salt
• ½ cup vegan chocolate chips (optional)
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Spray an 8x8 baking pan with pam and set aside.
3. In a high speed blender or food processor, dump your cooked black beans, egg replacer, water, oil, vanilla extract and salt and blend until smooth. There may be flecks of black bean skin but they will be incorporated well once they bake. Once you have a smooth consistency, add in your last ingredients (cocoa powder, sugar and baking powder). Pulse the ingredients in until they are well incorporated.
4. Use a rubber spatula to scrape the sides of the blender and pour the batter into your prepared baking pan.
5. Lastly, sprinkle your chocolate chips on the top of the brownies liberally. You can also add walnuts if you’d like!
6. Bake the brownies for about 45 minutes- you want the middle to appear dry and the edges of the brownies to pull away from the pan slightly. The inside of the brownies will always be moist so the toothpick test will not work.
7. Let your brownies cool for about 20-30 minutes before cutting into them- they will be delicate so chilling them in the fridge before cutting them helps to avoid a crumbly mummy! Although these are vegan, I still choose to store them in the fridge.
• ½ cup Coconut oil
• 1 stick Smart balance, or ½ cup
• 2 cups powdered sugar
• 1 tbsp. Vanilla extract
1. In a microwave safe bowl, microwave ½ cup of coconut oil for about 30 seconds. This step is highly dependent on your microwave’s strength. You want the oil to be mostly melted with some solid chunks floating in the bowl.
2. At this stage, add in your smart balance and let the vegan butter melt into the hot oil. Once your solution has melted, add in your vanilla extract and sugar. Use a whisk to incorporate the ingredients completely until smooth.
3. Pour the icing into a Ziploc bag and refrigerate for 1 hour.
4. Once the icing has chilled, snip the end of the Ziploc bag and use the bag to create mummy strips on each brownie. If it’s not Halloween you can just drizzle the icing on the whole pan.