Cooking Instructor, Bonnie Ward Strauss, shows us how to make her wonderful Sweet Potato Pie. For more on Bonnie, CLICK HERE. She teaches classes at Portland Parks and Rec.
Sweet Potato Pie
- 1 (9-inch) uncooked pie crust
- 1 Tablespoon melted butter
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- 2 cups cooked and mashed sweet potatoes
- 2 Tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 Tablespoon all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup buttermilk
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
Preheat oven at 400 degrees. Place crust dough into a 9” pie plate. Turn edges under and crimp. Prick bottom with fork. Brush bottom and sides with ¼ tablespoon melted butter. Do not butter outer edge. Sprinkle ¼ cup light brown sugar over bottom. Bake until crust is set and golden brown (about 15 minutes). If crust puffs, do not prick. Cool completely in pan on rack (about 30 minutes). Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees.
- In small bowl combine sugar, flour, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg (if using). Mash potatoes with mixer. When smooth, add butter and eggs. Stir sugar mixture into potato mixture. Mix together buttermilk and baking soda. Add to sweet potato mixture and stir well. Stir in vanilla extract. Pour filling into pastry shell. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for approximately 70 minutes, until set and slim knife comes out clean when inserted into center. (Middle will barely jiggle when gently shook.) Cool on wire rack.
- Top with sweetened whipped cream.
- Alternative Maple -Whipped Cream
- In a medium bowl beat together 1 cup whipping cream and ¼ cup confectioners’ sugar. Add 2 tablespoons maple syrup and beat until soft.