It's a delicious, nearly guilt-free ice cream you can make at home! Julie Hasson, author of the cookbook Vegan Casseroles, joined us to share her tasty recipe:
Julie’s Cherry Brownie Chunk Ice Cream
- 3 cups chilled plain soymilk
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon light rum or kirsch
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 cup ripe bing cherries, pitted and sliced in half
- 1/2 batch of baked and cooled chocolate brownies (gluten-free or regular)
- In a blender jar, combine the milk, sugar, melted coconut oil, rum, vanilla and almond extract. Blend for about 10 seconds to mix everything well. With the blender running on low, add the xanthan gum through the top of the lid. Blend until smooth. Try not to over blend the milk mixture, as you don’t want it to get too warm. Pour the ice cream base into an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer’s directions.
- Once the ice cream is almost frozen, add the cherries in and continue churning until the cherries are mixed into the ice cream and are cold.
- Eat the ice cream right away, and if desired, drizzle with chocolate sauce (homemade recipe below or store-bought).
Easy Chocolate Sauce
- 3/4 cup dairy-free semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup soy or almond milk
- 1 tablespoon rum
Combine the chocolate chips, creamer and rum in a microwave safe bowl, and heat in the microwave on 20-second intervals until softened. Stir with a spoon until the chocolate is totally melted. The heat from the dish will help it melt the rest of the way.
Copyright © Julie Hasson 2017
For more great food information and delicious recipes, visit Julie's blog.