A fun treat for Valentine’s Day or any day of the year! Julie Hasson, a cookbook author and private chef, shared her recipe for easy-to-make scones. They are gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free and vegan, making them perfect for anyone who has food allergies.
Julie’s Raspberry Cinnamon Sugar Scones
Gluten-Free, dairy-free, egg-free. Makes about 11 scones
- 1 3/4 cups (259 grams) Bob’s Red Mill 1 to 1 gluten-free flour
- 1/2 cup (58 grams) Bob’s Red Mill gluten-free oat flour
- 1/2 cup (89 grams) brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup soy or almond milk
- 1/4 cup canola or safflower oil
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen raspberries (not thawed)
- 1/2 cup raspberry jam
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and lightly grease with pan spray.
- Scones: In large bowl combine the flour, sugar, oat flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg, mixing well. Add the oil, milk, and vanilla, mixing with a fork until the dough comes together. Gently stir in the raspberries.
- Topping: In a small bowl, mix together the sugar and cinnamon.
- Scoop the scone batter onto the prepared baking sheet. It should make about 11 scones. Using your thumb, make a fairly deep indentation on the top of each scone. Place a spoonful of jam in the indentation. Sprinkle lightly with cinnamon sugar mixture. Repeat with remaining scones.
- Bake the scones in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes, or until the tops are nicely golden brown. Let cool before eating.
- Bonus: The freeze really well, so make a double batch and stock some away for later.
Copyright © 2017 Julie Hasson
For more great food information and delicious recipes, visit Julie's blog.