Harry Connick Jr. showed Helen how to cook up a Louisiana staple -- Red Beans and Rice. Watch "Harry" weekdays at 2:00 right here on KATU Channel 2!
Harry’s Red Beans & Rice:
– 1 pound dry red beans rinsed and soaked in water for 1 hour
– 2 ham hocks
– 1 pound hot Italian sausage, sliced
– 1 pound smoked sausage, sliced
– 1 onion, chopped
– 4 cloves of garlic, chopped
– 2 stalked of celery, chopped
– 1 bay leaf
– kosher salt
– 8-10 cups of water
– olive oil
– pepper or hot sauce to taste
– white rice, cooked
– chopped green onions and parsley for garnish
In Dutch Oven, brown ham hocks, Italian hot sausage, and smoked sausage in olive oil over medium heat. Remove meat from pot and set aside.
Add onions, celery, garlic to pot, and sauté until onions are translucent.
Add drained red beans, bay leaf, water, and meat to the pot. Bring to a boil, and then simmer with pot uncovered for 1-2 hours.
Mash some beans against the side of the pot to thicken. Season to taste with salt, pepper, hot sauce.
Serve over rice, and garnish with chopped green onions and parsley.