It's comfort food in a summer salad! Chef Karista Bennett, author of the blog, "Karista's Kitchen," stopped by to share one of her favorite summer salad recipes. She calls it creamy, dreamy and filled with flavor! You'll find more delicious recipes and beautiful photos on Karista's website.
Hawaiian Macaroni Salad
You’ve never had a macaroni salad quite like Hawaiian Macaroni Salad. Creamy, dreamy and filled with flavor, this salad is fresh comfort food at it’s best. Traditional Hawaiian Macaroni Salad is laced with a sizeable amount of mayonnaise. Personally, I adore mayonnaise and often make it at home. But if it’s not on your favorite ingredient list, feel free to adjust measurements. I also love that this salad can be subbed with GF or alternative macaroni as well as alternative mayonnaise.
- 2 cups quality mayonnaise (begin with 1 cup and then add 1/2 cup or more as needed. I usually use all 2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 1 lb macaroni pasta of your choice, cooked according to package directions
- 1/2 cup diced sweet onion
- 1 cup sweet pickle relish
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- ½ cup sliced green onions
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 4-5 hard boiled eggs, coarsely chopped or sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- Avocado slices for garnish
In a small bowl whisk together the mayonnaise and apple cider vinegar.
In a large bowl, add the mayonnaise dressing to the cooked macaroni. Then fold in the diced onion and pickle relish. Once the onion and relish are incorporated into the pasta fold in the remaining ingredients; carrots, green onions, cilantro, hard boiled egg slices and cheddar cheese. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Let the macaroni salad sit in the fridge for at least one hour before serving. This will help the macaroni absorb all the delicious flavors.
To serve, place the macaroni salad in a large serving bowl and garnish with avocado slices.
NOTE: You can make this salad the day before. Toss the cooked macaroni with the mayonnaise dressing, sweet onion and pickle relish. Cover and refrigerate. One hour prior to serving, fold in the remaining ingredients and garnish with fresh avocado slices.