It's a delicious dessert that will fill you up, without filling you out! Julie Hasson, author of the cookbook Vegan Casseroles, joined us to share her recipe for healthy rice pudding:
Coconut Almond Rice Pudding with Bing Cherries
Makes 4 servings
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup medium grain Cal Rose rice
- 1-1/2 cups So Delicious refrigerated coconut milk or almond milk (plain)
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup So Delicious coconut creamer or culinary coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1/2 cup dried pitted bing cherries
- Coconut whipped cream (such as CocoWhip)
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine water and rice, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove saucepan from heat and let sit, covered, for 5 minutes. Remove the cover.
- Add 1 cup of the coconut milk and the sugar to the cooked rice, stirring until combined. Return the saucepan to stove. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until it starts getting thick. Add the additional 1/2 cup coconut milk and the dried cherries, stirring as needed. Cook for about 15 minutes, or until the pudding is very thick and creamy. Stir in the coconut creamer and remove the saucepan from the heat. Stir in the almond extract.
- If the pudding is too thick, stir in a little more coconut milk as needed to thin slightly. Scoop the pudding into serving dishes and top with coconut whipped cream.
Copyright © 2017 Julie Hasson
For more great food information and delicious recipes, visit Julie's blog.