Tiffany Kent, author of the blog, "Table to Soul," has a knack for making decadent desserts healthier -- without losing the deliciousness. She stopped by to share her recipe for Paleo Chocolate Caramel Cookie Bars.
Paleo Chocolate Caramel Cookie Bars
By Tiffany Kent
This recipe makes a large batch (13x9” size) of paleo chocolate caramel cookie bars. To make a smaller batch (8x8” size) reduce the ingredients by half; keep baking time the same.
For the cookie crust:
- 2 ½ cups fine ground almond flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 4 tbsp. Grade A organic maple syrup
- ½ cup coconut oil
For the caramel:
- ¾ cup coconut oil
- ¾ cup Grade A organic maple syrup
- 1 ½ cups cashew butter
- ½ cup almond butter
For the chocolate frosting:
- ¾ cup coconut oil
- 2 tbsp. Grade A organic maple syrup
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa power
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk ‘cream’
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- Optional toppings: walnuts, pecans, coconut flakes
1. Preheat the oven to 350-degrees Fahrenheit. Line a 13x9” baking sheet (with edges) with parchment paper and spray with your favorite nonstick spray for 3easy removal.
2. In a large bowl, combine almond flour and salt. Add in maple syrup and coconut oil. Stir until thoroughly blended. Then, use a spatula to press the mixture into the baking sheet as evenly as possible.
3. Bake the cookie crust bottom for 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown.
4. While baking, create the caramel sauce by combining ¾ cup coconut oil, ¾ cup grade A maple syrup, cashew butter, and almond butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Mix thoroughly until everything is dissolved. When crust is finished baking, pour caramel over crust. Then, set in the freezer to cool for 1 hour.
5. For the chocolate frosting, combine ¾ cup of melted coconut oil, 2 tbsp. maple syrup, cocoa powder, coconut milk ‘cream’, and sea salt in a blender. Pour and spread over frozen caramel sauce. Freeze an additional 30 minutes until you can easily cut into bars.
6. Top with pecans, walnuts, or flaked coconut and enjoy!
Note: these bars last well when stored in the freezer! Before serving, allow to sit for 15 minutes.