Amy Webster, Food and Nutrition Coordinator with the Humane Society of the United States, promotes plant based eating -- with delicious recipes even non-vegans love! She stopped by to share a hearty fall recipe.
Savory Lentil Sausage
- 1 cup cooked lentils, mashed
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 ½ teaspoons granulated garlic (or 2 cloves fresh garlic, finely grated)
- 1 ½ teaspoons fennel seed, crushed or ground
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon all-spice
- 1 1/4 cups vital wheat gluten
Prepare the steaming apparatus and bring water to a full boil. Place 4 square sheets of foil out, ready to go.
In a large bowl, combine the lentils, broth, olive oil, soy sauce, nutritional yeast, and all spices and mix. Add the vital wheat gluten and combine well (may need to use your hands).
Divide the dough into 4 even parts. Place one part of dough into tin foil and mold into about a 4 inch log. Wrap dough in tin foil and repeat to make 4 logs. Place wrapped sausages in steamer and steam for 40 minutes. Enjoy immediately or refrigerate until ready to use.