If you ate too much chocolate on Valentine’s Day, eat something healthy today! Alice Bolen, author of "Simply De-lite-ful," stopped by to share one of her favorite pasta recipes – sure to become one of your favorites too!
Pasta in Tomato Cream Sauce with Mushrooms and Artichokes
Creaminess is hard to come by in a low fat diet,so this is a welcome addition to “What’s for Dinner?” Serves 8
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped (2/3 - 1 cup)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 6 large fresh Roma tomatoes, chopped (can use food processor and pulse so you don’t puree them. (Or can use 3 cups canned, diced tomatoes. I chop finer.)
- 2 Tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil, recommended; but can use 1 Tablespoon dried if needed.
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Dash of cayenne pepper or more if you like more heat. (Optional)
- 3/4 cup fat free sour cream or plain nonfat greek yogurt
- 2 Tablespoons fresh grated Parmesan cheese (Optional)
- 1 pound pasta, cooked according to directions for al dente doneness (I like rigatoni)
- (Reserve a little pasta water for adjusting thickness of sauce if needed.)
- Garnish top of pasta: Use as much as appeals to you
- Fresh mushrooms, saute’ed(I use 1 lb.)
- Drained marinated artichokes, coarsely chopped (I use 14.75 oz bottle)
Spray large skillet with nonfat cooking spray. Add olive oil, onion and garlic. Saute’ until onions are soft, but not brown. Add tomatoes, parsley, dried basil if using, (fresh basil would be added later), salt, and cayenne pepper if using. Simmer until onions are transparent and tomatoes are soft. Add nonfat sour cream or Greek yogurt and simmer another 10-15 minutes to blend flavors, stirring often. Don't boil, or the sauce will curdle. (If it does boil and curdle, you can save it by using a blender or stick blender and whirl to smooth it out. The texture will be somewhat different, but still delicious!)
During the last 5 minutes of cooking, add fresh basil if you are using it. If needed, add a little pasta water to sauce for thinning. Do this gradually so it doesn’t get too thin!
Adjust seasoning and toss with the cooked pasta. Top with the mushroom and artichokes.
If you want a more substantial meal, grilled chicken, scallops or shrimp is delicious with this pasta.