Tiffany Kent, author of the blog, "Table to Soul," is all about simple, healthy and delicious recipes. She stopped by to share her most requested fall recipe.
Perfectly Pumpkin Bread
(GF, can be made egg-free, DF)
This bread is gluten-free and can be made dairy-free by following substitutions marked with an asterisk*.
What You'll Need:
- 3 ½ Bob's Red Mill Gluten-free 1:1 baking flour
- 15 oz. organic pumpkin puree
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup melted unsalted grass-fed butter or vegan alternative, like Earth Balance* (coconut oil will also work!)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 ½ cup organic cane sugar
- 1 ½ cup dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- Cooking spray
1. Preheat the oven to 350-degrees F. Spray two loaf pans with cooking spray and set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and spices.
3. In a separate bowl, gently whisk together pumpkin puree, applesauce, eggs, Earth Balance, and sugar.
4. Fold the dry ingredients into the wet mixture, incorporating evenly. When batter is ‘lump-free’, divide it between the two prepared loaf pans.
5. Bake around 50 minutes, or until a toothpick or sharp knife can be inserted into a loaf and comes out clean. Allow loaves to sit for an additional 20 minutes once they are out of the oven.
Notes: This bread stores in an airtight container for up to five days (though it won’t last that long). It gets tastier as it sits overnight and the flavors marinate.
Optional Maple Glaze for Pumpkin Bread:
What You’ll Need:
- 2 Tbsp. butter or coconut oil
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2-3 tbsp. pure maple syrup
- ½ tsp. vanilla
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
Combine warm butter or coconut oil with maple syrup and vanilla extract. Add in powdered sugar and whisk until dissolved. Add in cinnamon. When bread is finished baking, drizzle across the top.
Optional Candied Pecans:
What You’ll Need:
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp. water
- 1 cup halved pecans.
Combine all ingredients except the pecans into a skillet and cook over medium heat for two minutes, until sugar dissolves and mixture is bubbling. Add the pecans and cook for an additional 3 minutes, stirring to coat the pecans In the glaze. Remove from heat and spread pecans out on parchment paper to cool completely. Break apart, then enjoy!