It's a vegan dish so delicious, you'll never miss the meat! Julie Hasson, cookbook author and private chef, joined us to share her recipe for a revamped Chinese Chicken Salad:
Vegan Chinese Chicken Salad
Serves 3 to 4
- 2 cups vegan chicken strips or sautéed tofu
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 6 cups romaine or iceberg lettuce, thinly shredded
- 2 cups red cabbage (about 1/4 head red cabbage), shredded
- 3 Persian cucumbers, sliced
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced scallions (about 3)
- 4 seedless Mandarin oranges or tangerines, peeled and separated into segments
- 1/2 cup dry roasted peanuts or cashews or sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup peanut butter powder
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free soy sauce (or regular)
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- 2 to 3 teaspoons grated fresh ginger (depending how gingery you like it)
Salad: In a large skillet add 2 teaspoons oil and heat over medium heat. Add the vegan chicken and sauté about 2 minutes. Remove to a plate to cool.
In a large bowl, combine the shredded lettuce, red cabbage, cucumber, carrot, scallions, Mandarin oranges, cooled vegan chicken, peanuts, and sesame seeds.
Ginger Dressing: In a bowl, whisk together the peanut butter powder, sesame oil, rice vinegar, soy sauce, agave, garlic, and ginger. Whisk until smooth. Pour dressing over salad, toss to combine and serve.
Copyright © 2018 Julie Hasson
For more great food information and delicious recipes, visit Julie's website.