Grilled Tri-Tip Steaks with Chimichurri Sauce
Recipe by Carrie Minns
La Pomme de Portland
For the steaks:
- 6 tri-tip steaks, 1-inch thick, approx. 2 lbs.
- Coarse salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 c olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp garlic powder
For the chimichurri sauce:
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/2 cup parsley and 1/2 cup basil leaves
- 1/2 cup parsley and 1/2 cup cilantro, chives and mint
- 1/2 cup parsley and any combination of your favorite herbs
- (Try also oregano, rosemary, tarragon, and chervil)
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp coarse salt
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup Arbequina olive oil or other high quality olive oil
Generously salt and pepper both sides of your steaks. Whisk together olive oil, vinegar, and garlic powder. Combine olive oil mixture and steaks in a Ziploc bag, or other marinating container. Marinate for at least 1 hour, and up to 24 hours.
In a food processor, mince garlic cloves. Add in parsley and basil, (or cilantro, chives, and mint, or any other combination of herbs,) red peppers flakes, salt and vinegar. Process until herbs are finely chopped. With processor running, drizzle olive oil in through the feed tube. Allow sauce to sit for at least one hour before serving. Sauce can be stored in the fridge for up to a week.
Take steaks out of fridge and stand at room temperature for at least 20 minutes before grilling.
Preheat grill for medium heat. Grill steaks over direct medium heat for about 10-12 minutes for medium rare. Remove steaks from the grill and allow meat to rest at least 5 minutes before thinly slicing against the grain.
Drizzle steaks with chimichurri sauce. Serve and enjoy.
Yield: 6 servings