Roasted Asparagus Vol-au-Vents
Serves: 6 | Prep time: 15 min. | Cook time: 30 min.
- 1 6-piece package frozen puff-pastry shells
- 1 bundle thick-stemmed asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces, approx. 4 cups
- 4 cups quartered cremini mushrooms
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large shallot, chopped, approx. 1/2 cup
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- Optional: chopped chives or crumbled pancetta to garnish
Bake puff pastry shells according to directions on box, and set aside.
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a medium bowl, gently toss your asparagus and mushrooms with 2 tablespoons olive oil, the salt and the pepper. Lay them in a single layer on your baking sheet. Roast for 15 minutes or until lightly browned and tender but not mushy.
While vegetables are roasting, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a heavy-bottomed saucepan. Add your chopped shallots and saut on med-low heat for 8-10 minutes, or until shallots are translucent. Stir occasionally to prevent shallots from browning too quickly.
Carefully, add your wine and chicken broth. Stirring occasionally, simmer for 5-6 minutes or until alcohol has evaporated and sauce has thickened slightly.
Tuck a good amount of asparagus and mushrooms into your shells. Spoon the shallot and wine sauce over the top. Sprinkle with chives and/or pancetta if you'd like. Enjoy!