Caramelized Fennel with Orange and Olives
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 large fennel bulbs, cut into 8 wedges
- 12 Kalamata olives, pitted and halved
- 4 strips zest from an orange
- 1/2 cup fresh squeezed orange juice from 2 medium oranges
- Salt and pepper
Heat a stainless steel pan over medium high heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil and when hot, add half of fennel in a single layer. Sear until brown on both sides. Remove from pan and repeat with remaining oil and fennel.
Return fennel pan and add orange zest, olives and a generous pinch of salt. Cook 1 minute and deglaze with orange juice. Liquid should come to 1/2 inch below top of fennel. Add a little water if more liquid is needed. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until fennel is tender, about 10 minutes.
Remove orange zest and discard. Taste and season with salt and pepper if desired. Divide fennel among plates and serve.