Quick Indian-Spiced Fish with Sauted Summer Vegetables
This is a lovely one-pan meal that is a great way to use any leftover squash or zucchini in the garden. You can put it together in about 20 minutes and you only have one pan to wash!
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 4-ounce rockfish or snapper fillets
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala *
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 small zucchini, halved and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1/2 small summer squash, halved and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1/2 small lemon, juiced
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro, about 4 sprigs
- Salt and pepper (optional)
In a small bowl, mix together coconut milk and water. Lightly season fish with salt and pepper if using. Sprinkle garam masala over both sides of fish, reserving a small pinch for vegetables.
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. When hot, add oil and heat until shimmering.
Add garlic and ginger and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add fish to one side of pan and vegetables to other side. Sprinkle remaining pinch of garam masala over vegetables.
Cook fish and vegetables about 3 to 4 minutes. Flip fish over and toss vegetables; continue cooking another 3 to 4 minutes.
Add lemon juice and coconut/water mix to pan. Reduce heat to medium-low, sprinkle fish with cilantro and let simmer until fish and vegetables are cooked through, another 4 minutes.
Divide fish and vegetables between two plates and serve hot.
* Garam masala is an Indian spice mix of coriander, pepper, cumin, cardamom and cinnamon. It can be found in the spice section of most grocery stores.