Three Cheese Macaroni
From the kitchen of Chef Tse
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3 cups 2% cold milk
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- 2 ounces grated Parmesan, about 1 cup
- 4 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese, about 1 1/2 cups
- 2 ounces blue cheese, such as gorgonzola
- 1/4 cup Panko or toasted breadcrumbs
- Salt and pepper
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add pasta and undercook by two minutes. For example, if package instructions say to cook pasta 7 minutes, only cook it 5. Drain pasta and return to pot. Cover and keep warm.
In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Sprinkle over flour and cook 2 minutes, stirring often. Slowly whisk in cold milk. Add nutmeg a pinch of salt and a generous pinch of ground pepper. Bring to a boil and cook until bchamel starts to thicken, stirring often, especially around corners, about 5 minutes. Add all cheeses and stir until melted. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
Pour cheese sauce over pasta and mix well. Pour mixture into an 8x8 baking dish and sprinkle breadcrumbs over top. Bake in oven 7 to 10 minutes. If desired broil 1 - 2 minutes to brown top. Serve hot.