"Chlostess" Creme-Filled Cupcakes
MAKES 14 CUPCAKES
This recipe courtesy of Chloe's Kitchen by Chloe Coscarelli-- 'Move over, you other name-brand cupcakes found in a little plastic bag! These are homemade, have half the fat, and are still crme-filled delicious!"
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 cup sugar
- ? cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold coffee or water
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons white or apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup non-hydrogenated vegetable shortening
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 to 5 tablespoons soy, almond, or rice milk
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips (dairy-free)
- 1/4 cup canned coconut milk, mixed well before measuring
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
*For a gluten-free alternative, substitute gluten-free all-purpose flour plus 3/4 teaspoon xanthan gum (a thickener.)
- To make the Chocolate Cupcakes: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two 12-cup cupcake pans with 14 cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together coffee, oil, vinegar, and vanilla. Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and whisk until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Fill the cupcake liners about two-thirds full with batter. Bake for 16 to 18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean with a few crumbs clinging to it. Cool the cupcakes completely before frosting.
- To make the Crme Frosting: Using a handheld or stand mixer, beat the shortening until smooth. With the mixer running on low, add powdered sugar, vanilla, and 1 tablespoon nondairy milk at a time, as needed, until frosting reaches a spreadable consistency. You may not need to use all of the nondairy milk. Beat on high for 2 more minutes until light and fluffy.
- To make the Chocolate Ganache: Melt chocolate chips and coconut milk in a double boiler or microwave. Whisk in oil until smooth.
- To assemble the cupcakes: Fit a piping bag with a small round or Bismarck tip and fill with the Crme Frosting. Insert the tip into the center of the top of each cupcake and squeeze the bag to fill the cupcake with about 2 to 3 teaspoons frosting. There is no need to scoop out any of the cake.
- Spread the top of each cupcake with a thin layer of Chocolate Ganache and pipe a 4-loop design with the Crme Frosting.
The Chocolate Cupcakes can be filled with Crme Frosting and frozen for up to 1 month.
Thaw cupcakes and apply Chocolate Ganache topping and swirl design before serving. Any
leftover Crme Frosting can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.