Makes about 16
- 1 1/2 pounds all-purpose potatoes, peeled
- 1 medium onion, chopped and grated
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley (optional)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 to 1 cup oil, for frying
- Apple sauce, for serving
- Sour cream, for serving
- Grate potatoes and squeeze out as much moisture as you can.
- Combine with onions, parsley, egg, flour, salt and pepper.
- Heat about 1/3 cup oil in a large frying pan over medium- high heat, until very hot.
- Drop about 2 teaspoons mixture into pan to form a pancake. Use the back of the spoon to flatten mixture so that each latke is about 3 inches in diameter.
- Fry until brown and crisp, about 4 minutes per side.
- Drain on paper towels and keep warm in a 250-degrees oven. This will have to be done in batches.
- Serve hot with apple sauce and/or sour cream.