Gingerbread Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
From Chef Tse
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose unbleached flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 4 ounces light cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, salt, baking soda, and spices. In a small bowl, dissolve molasses in hot water.
In another medium bowl, cream together butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add egg and beat until incorporated. Add 1/3rd of the flour mixture and beat well. Add 1/2 of the molasses and beat well. Repeat with remaining flour and molasses, alternating until everything is well mixed.
Line a 1/2 cup muffin tin with paper liners. Divide batter evenly among cups. Bake 15 to 17 minutes until a toothpick inserted in a cupcake comes out clean. Remove cupcakes from pan and let cool completely before frosting.
In a medium bowl, beat together cream cheese, vanilla and powdered sugar. Using a butter knife, spread frosting over cupcakes.