Black Rice Superfood Salad
Serves: 6 people
Preparation Time: 40 minutes
Cooking Time: 5 minutes
- 3 cups cooked HINODE Black Rice
- 1 3/4 cup chicken or vegetable vroth
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 Yellow Bell Pepper, diced
- 1/2 orange bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup cilantro, finely chopped (save some cilantro for garnish)
- 12oz edamame, shelled about 2 cups
- 2 crowns of broccoli, steamed and chopped into bite size pieces
- 1 bunch of asparagus, steamed chopped into bite size pieces
- 1 cup snap peas, raw and chopped into bite size pieces
- 1 lime, cut into small wedges for garnish
- 1 Tbs. sesame seeds
- 2 cups soy sauce
- 2 Tbs. sesame oil
- 2 Tbs. plum sauce
- 1 tsp. chili paste (adjust chili to your taste)
- Juice from 1 1/2 - 2 limes (adjust to your taste)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (palm sugar if available)
- 2 Tbs. grated ginger (in a pinch use Gourmet Garden Ginger Spice Blend available in produce departments)
Cook HINODE Black Rice with 1 3/4 cup broth and 1 1/2 cup water in rice cooker (with brown rice setting) or on the stove top per package directions.
Combine soy sauce, chili paste, plum sauce, brown sugar and ginger; wisk together and set aside.
Steam the broccoli, asparagus and edamame to your liking.
Chop vegetables into bite size pieces (broccoli, asparagus, bell pepper, snap peas and cilantro).
Toss peppers, edamame, broccoli, asparagus, snap peas, and cilantro with 1/4 cup of sauce.
Mix the black rice with 1/2 cup of sauce.
Test the rice and gradually add more sauce in 1/4 cup increments to your liking. Save extra sauce for drizzling on top of salad when served.
Plate the black rice on the bottom with the vegetables on the top (like a big rice bowl).
You can also present this as a layered salad which highlights the beautiful colors of these super foods. Garnish with cilantro, sesame seed and lime wedges.