Lemon Cake with Raspberry Creme Fraiche Frosting
Recipe from Chef Fabiola Donnely of "Not Just Baked"
Note: I made the creme fraiche for this recipe. It is super easy. But you can find creme fraiche in any store. It is much like sour cream, and tastes so good with the sweetness of the cake.
You can make the cake and creme fraiche frosting ahead of time, up to one day. Keep cake and frosting in air tight containers in fridge separate until serving. bring cake to room temperature before serving.
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice, about 1 1/2 lemon, zest the lemons and set aside for the cake
- 2 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar, I use organic cane sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup oil, I used grapeseed oil, a mild fruity olive oil would be good too
- 2 cups raspberries, about 9oz., set aside 1/2 cup for top of cake
- 1 tablespoons sugar, I use organic cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon honey, I use BeeLocal
- 1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 cup creme fraiche
Preheat oven to 350 degrees, place rack in center of oven
I uses a 9 inch cake pan. Pour 1 teaspoon of the oil you are using into pan, use a paper towel to coat entire pan evenly.
1. Combine the milk, and lemon juice in a medium bowl, whisk to combine, set aside for 10 minutes to make buttermilk. In a large bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and lemon zest. Whisk to combine.
2. Add the eggs and oil to the buttermilk, whisk to combine very well. Add buttermilk mixture to the flour. Using a spatula, mix gently to combine. Just wet the flour with the liquids, DO NOT OVER MIX. Pour batter into oiled cake pan. Bake for 45 minutes.
3. Work on raspberry creme fraiche while cake is baking. In a small sauce pan, add 1 1/2 cup raspberries, sugar, honey, and salt. Cook over low heat for 5 minutes, stir frequently. Remove from heat, and allow to cool. Once the raspberries cool, add to the creme fraiche, using a spatula, fold to combine.
4. Remove cake from oven, and cool on a wire rack for minimum 30 minutes. Once cooled, spread the raspberry creme fraiche frosting evenly on top of the cake. Top with fresh raspberries. Serve immediately. Store in an airtight container for up to 3-4 days if necessary.