This recipe courtesy of Sunset Magazine's The Great Outdoors Cookbook
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 1 1/2 cups cold mascarpone cheese
- 2 tablespoons blackberry liqueur
- 8 thick (3/4 in.) slices of day-old wide French bread, such as btard
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 1/2 cups blackberries
- 2 tablespoons butter
Heat a charcoal grill to medium-high (450) or set up a camp stove and use medium heat.
Whisk egg, milk, sugar, cinnamon, and 1/2 tsp. vanilla together in a large bowl.
- Stir mascarpone, remaining 1 tsp. vanilla, and the liqueur together in another bowl. Spread mascarpone mixture over 4 bread slices; top with remaining slices.
- Cook maple syrup and berries in a small covered saucepan until berries start to break down, 5 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Heat a large heavy frying pan or 2 smaller ones; swirl butter in pan(s). Dip sandwiches in egg mixture, then cook, turning once, until crisp and browned, 4 to 8 minutes total. Serve French toast with syrup and bacon.
Total Time: 35 minutes