Oregon Cranberry, Pear, and Hazelnut Chutney
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees.
- Put water and cranberries into a 6-quart saucepan. Turn on medium high.
- Combine sugar, ground ginger, cinnamon, and cloves..
- Add sugar mixture to the cranberries and bring to a boil over medium high heat. Continue to cook on medium for about 10-12 minutes until cranberries pop and mixture thickens up. Stir often.
- Add pears, and raisins. Turn heat down to a simmer. Continue to simmer for about 10-12 minutes until pears softened. Stir often.
- Take off heat. Add roasted hazelnuts.
- Discard the cloves if you can find them.
- Serve chutney hot, or let cool and store for later. Refrigerate in tightly sealed jars for up to 3 weeks. Goes great with pork, poultry and beef, and as a spread with a variety of Oregon cheese.
To roast hazelnuts:
Place the nuts on a rimmed baking sheet in a preheated oven (at 275 degrees) and cook until lightly browned. About 8-10 minutes. If the hazelnuts have skins, you can remove the skins when they are cool enough to handle, lay them on a clean kitchen towel, or between several sheets of paper towels and rub to remove most of the skins (they never completely come off).
Yield: Makes about 2 quarts