Chocolate Lover's Valentine Decadence
Heavy and moist and utterly satisfying in that chocolate-kind-of-way...and the perfect chocolate Valentine for your Sweetheart.
Serves 12 to 15
One recipe Unbeatable Nonfat (Almost) Chocolate Cake:
- *2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- **1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa, not Dutch-processed
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- Chocolate Glaze (recipe below)
- Chocolate frosting (Recipe below)
- Garnishes and fillings of choice.grated chocolate, chocolate curls, Glazed pecans or other nuts, fresh berries, canned raspberry pie filling.
Preheat oven to 325. Spray 9x13-inch baking dish or two 8-inch round pans with nonfat cooking spray and dust with flour. I like to line bottom of baking pan with baking parchment, cut to fit.
In large mixing bowl combine applesauce, water, vanilla, almond extract, vinegar and egg substitute. In separate bowl combine dry ingredients and add to applesauce mixture, stirring until combined.
Turn into prepared baking dish and bake about 25 minutes for round pans or 40 minutes for 9x13. Can also be made into cupcakes. Be sure to test center of cake with toothpick to make sure it comes out clean before removing from oven.
Set baked cake on cooling rack. After 10 minutes, turn cake out of baking dish onto cooling rack and allow to cool completely.
* 2 cups of pureed beets can be very satisfactorily substituted for the applesauce. It's a great way to get a serving of veggies unannouncedand disguised in yummy chocolate cake to your family.
** Can substitute up to 1/2 of the all purpose flour with whole wheat flour.
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- 4 Tablespoons light Karo syrup
- 2 tablespoons non fat milk
Combine all ingredients in microwave proof dish. Microwave on high power for 20 seconds. Stir well and return to microwave for 20 seconds more. Stir till well blended and very smooth. If necessary, return to microwave 10 seconds at a time till warm enough to mix completely. While still warm, pour on top of cooled cake that has been filled and sides frosted. With a spatula, smooth carefully to spread evenly, allowing, if desired, for the glaze to dribble over the edge of the cake. Don't over-work the frosting or you won't get the totally smooth, shiny surface. Add whatever garnishes you choose to decorate the top of the cake with if desired.
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 3 Tablespoons Karo syrup
- 1/4 cup butter substitute
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla
- 1 teaspoon Almond extract (optional)
- 1/3 cup cocoa (not dutch processed)
- 1 Tablespoon non fat milk
Mix all ingredients together in a mixing bowl and beat with mixer on low speed to blend ingredients, then beat on high speed till smooth and light. If necessary, add extra milk a drop or so at a time to achieve good spreading consistency.