We like these so much we've actually had hot dog parties. Beware, you'll never want to eat another hot dog without the zingy, sweet Special Sauce. And yes, we absolutely recommend that you try all of the condiments at once.
- 8 reduced fat or nonfat hot dogs (we like the taste of kosher best)
- 8 hot dog buns, flatbread, or good quality long rolls
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon mustard (regular or brown)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Sliced banana peppers
- Sliced jalapenos
- Chopped Onions
- Dill pickles, sliced lengthwise
Deeply score each uncooked hot dog in a cross-cross pattern down length of one side and repeat with remaining hot dogs.
In medium pan mix together special sauce ingredients and bring to a boil. Simmer on a low boil for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and allow to cool a bit. Pour into a squeeze bottle.
Cook hot dogs on a griddle, barbeque, or in a frying pan until cooked through. Place in buns scored-side up and squeeze Special Sauce liberally over score marks.
Top with choice of condiments and enjoy. Keep any remaining sauce in refrigerator.