Rich and Creamy Avocado Basil Pasta
Serves 4 as an entree
The avocados are not low calorie, but are a source of very healthy fat and are very nutritious. This makes a satisfying and flavorful vegetarian entre or a fabulous side with grilled chicken or fish.
- 2 ripe, medium avocados, peeled and pitted
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 cloves garlic , smashed or 3/4 teaspoon prepared minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/2 cup fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil (optional)
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
Combine all ingredient in food processor and process till very smooth. Set aside while preparing your serving option.
Prepare your choice of options below, and serve immediately.
Garnish with red and or yellow cherry tomatoes and a sprig of basil.
If your diet restrictions allow, it tastes great lightly sprinkled with shredded parmesan.
- Pasta (we like spaghetti), cooked al dente in well-salted water and well drained.
- Spaghetti squash, cooked and then scraped from rind with a fork to keep the stringy texture. Toss with salt to taste.
- Zucchini, julienned sprinkled lightly with salt, garlic powder and onion powder and then stir fried in a sprayed skillet over medium high heat just until hot through and just beginning to soften (just a minute or two.)