Southwestern Corn, Bean, and Rice Salad
This flavorful dish compliments many main courses and could be served alongside various meat preparations, at barbeques, as a hearty addition to a green salad, and is great served on an appetizer table with tortilla chips. Make enough to have some leftovers to serve the next morning rolled up in a warm with scrambled eggs for a yummy breakfast sandwich!
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup fresh lime or lemon juice
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 2 pickled jalapeno peppers, stemmed and seeded (more or less depending on heat desired.)
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 5 cups cooked rice
- 2 (16-ounce) cans beans, rinsed and drained. ( I like to combine great northern and black beans for nice contrast in color, texture and flavor. )
- 1 (23-ounce) can corn
- 3/4 cup chopped scallions
Combine vinegar, lime/lemon juice, oil, brown sugar, broth, peppers, chili powder, cumin, and salt in blender and process until peppers are minced. In large bowl, mix rice, beans, corn, and scallions. Pour dressing over rice mixture and toss to coat. Serve at room temperature.
**This can be made ahead very nicely. I usually make 1/2 recipe extra of the dressing to moisten it before serving if I make it a day or two ahead.