Warm and Hearty Baked Beans
Serves 6 to 8
You just won't miss the bacon. Makes a flavorful and hearty side dish for any grilled meat or to take to a potluck barbeque.
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 (1 pound, 13-ounce) cans pinto beans
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/4 pound ground white turkey or chicken breast, browned (optional)
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, or more if desired
Spray heavy skillet with cooking spray. Saut onion until soft. Stir in brown sugar and mix well. Combine with remaining ingredients in large saucepan and simmer 30 to 35 minutes. Best refrigerated overnight to blend flavors. To serve, reheat in oven or on stove until hot.