Asparagus Leek Chowder
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 2 large leeks, trimmed and sliced
- 3/4 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed andchopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups half and half
- 1 12-ounce can white whole-kernel corn, undrained
- 2 tablespoons chopped pimiento
1. Melt the butter in a large soup pot over low heat. Add the mushrooms, leeks, and asparagus and cook until almost tender, about 10 minutes.
2. Sprinkle flour, salt, and pepper evenly over all the vegetables, saut 3-4 minutes..
3. Add chicken broth gradually, stirring to prevent lumps, and simmer 10 minutes. Add the half-and-half and heat, stirring constantly, until hot and bubbly.
4. Stir in corn and pimiento and heat through, being careful not to boil. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper, if needed, and serve hot.
Make Ahead? Yes; when reheating, be careful not to let soup boil.
For Large Groups. Go ahead and splurge - asparagus season is short.
For Vegetarians? Use vegetable stock rather than chicken