Never Fail Biscuit
There are literally hundreds of variations of biscuits recipes. Once you have a level of confidence with this basic recipe feel free to make your own variations.
- 2 cups all purpose flour, sifted
- 4 tespoons baking powder
- 1 tablespon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup milk or buttermilk (or even Half & Half)
- Pre heat oven to 425-degrees
- Sift and mix flour, baking powder, salt and sugar into mixing bowl.
- Cut in or mix shortening with a fork until it crumbles into small, pea-size pieces.
- Add milk while stirring with a fork until dough becomes soft and no longer sticks to the sides of the bowl. (You can also mix with your hands, it's a bit messier but fun.)
- Lightly flour a cutting board and place your mix on the board. Knead the mixture with your hands several times.
- Roll out dough on the board with a rolling pin until 1/2-inch in thickness.
- Cut using a biscuit or cookie cutter. (You can also use a glass.)
- Place cut out bicuits on non-greased cookie sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes or until light golden brown on top. You can also add an egg wash halfway through baking if you'd ike.
- Depending on the size you cut, this recipe will make 12 or more biscuits.
In the summer time I use these biscuits for Strawberry shortcake. Sprinkle a touch more sugar on the biscuits when they come out of the oven.