A Portland man is the Nation's Most Imaginative Bartender! The annual competition sponsored by Bombay Sapphire and GQ Magazine showcased 50 master mixologists from across the country and one man came out on top-- Nathan Gerdes. He joined us to share his story and the recipe for his prize-winning cocktail!
Nathan Gerdes' Hanoi Strip Sour:
- 2 parts BOMBAY SAPPHIRE gin
- 3/4 part fresh lime juice
- 3/4 part Pho specialty syrup*
- 1/4 part St. Germain Elderflower liqueur
Shake and serve in an old-fashioned glass on the rocks. Garnish with a lime wheel and Thai basil sprig.
*Pho specialty syrup:
- 3 cups of sugar combined with 3 cups of water for simple syrup
- 2 medium sized jalapeno peppers
- 1 cup of cilantro leaves
- 2 cups of Thai basil leaves
- 1 cup of fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons of grains of paradise
- 4 whole limes, sliced
Place ingredients in a pot and bring to a light boil. Remove from heat and let cool. Strain and bottle.
You can learn more about Nathan in the December issue of GQ Magazine.For more information on Bombay Sapphire, visit their website.