Professional Artist Elida Field showed Dave and comedian Doug Benson how to tap their inner craft-man by showing them how to create their own fancy fruit skewers with just a little wire, a few beads and a pair of pliers.
These easy to make skewers are great for adding a little color into any event. They also make for a nice host or hostess gift. More importantly these little party pleasers keep dirty hands and used utensils away from the fruit, vegetable, or cheese platters and that is something to party about!
~brightly colored assorted beads (make sure the hole in the bead is big enough to fit the wire)
~20 gauge silver plated wire (6m creates about 20-25 skewers)
~round nose pliers for bending the wire
~fruit, vegetable, or cheese and meat platter
How to create the "Fiesta Fruit Skewer"
1. Take out your wire and unroll it.
2. Lay it out, measure with your ruler 8" and snip it with your wire cutters. Continue doing so until you've cut all the wire. Straiten them as you go.
3. At one end of the wire, take your round nose pliers and begin twisting the wire into a circular shape. It should look like swirl, getting smaller as it goes to the center. Make a little kink or
curve at the base of your swirl.
4. Slide the bead up from the bottom until it hits the base of your swirl and then twist or kink the wire right below the bead to keep it secure.
5. Lastly, use your fingers to smooth out the bottom of the wire from the swirl down.
6. Stick them into any fruit platter for easy picking, or slide different fruits onto them for creating your own mini fruit kabobs.
Create funky different swirls at the top to add some pizazz. Mix it up with multiple different beads or charms. Use them as place holders for name tags at dinners by poking them into pears
or apples and setting them on the salad plates. Another great use is to distinguish between the gouda, mozzarella, and cheddar,....simple stick some of these cu-ties into the different blocks or
cubes and have your guests be informed. You will be surprised at how many different uses you'll find for them. Enjoy!