Communicating with your child is one of the toughest parts of parenting. Janet Davis, parenting expert and early childhood educator, joined us to share a few ways to improve your communication style:
- Lead by example.
- Communicate eye to eye when ever it is possible . When the discussion is dealing with an awkward subject it may be more comfortable speaking side by side.
- Pay attention to what your child is telling you. Don't just hear their word but really listen to what they are saying.
- To avoid any misunderstandings repeat back to them what you believe they are saying. Wait for confirmation to make sure there is no misunderstanding.
- Talk to your child about nonverbal communication. Discuss the importance of your body language in conversation
- Most importantly, when asking your child questions, wait for an answer. Sit, pause, be patient. Don't put words in your child 's mouth.
For more information, visit Janet's website.