Richard Bloom -- of R. Bloom's of Lake Oswego -- stopped by to share his insider tips for getting more flower for your money when ordering for Valentine's Day.
Here are some tips for ordering a good basic flower arrangement:
- Ask for a European hand gathered style. This is an all around look where flowers go throughout the arrangement and not on just one side. If specific flowers are needed be sure to order early!
- Ask what flowers are in season, are of them any local. Different areas have different flowers and cost can vary.
- Design in glass without oasis foam if possible. Flowers tend to drink water better and last longer.
- Have a budget in mind you would like to spend. Ask what are the fees not included in the flowers such as delivery, any fees such as broker fees.
- Ask are you a local flower store or an order desk located outside of the area. Make sure you allow enough time ahead for your delivery date. If you see an arrangement on the internet, ask about it for size and style. Are the flowers available or do they need to substitute flowers.