Recent news showed that the water in some homes in Portland had lead levels above accepted levels.Pediatrician Dr. George Bengtson shared how you can reduce your family's exposure to lead.
- Run water from your main pips for 30 sec to 2 min to let standing water flush out if water is to be used for drinking or cooking.
- Don't cook with or drink water from the hot water tap as hot water pulls more lead from the pipes into the water.
- Your aerators, the little screens at the end of you facuet, can trap lead-containing metal in your water. Unscrew your aerator and clean it occasionally.
- Not all water filters are created equal. For water filter performance standards click here.
- If you're concerned about your children, you can have your child's blood tested at your doctor's office.
- For a free lead-in-water test for your home call Portland's Leadline at 503-988-4000.