Independent College Consultant, Marie Morris, is an expert at matching the right colleges to the right kids and says that Spring Break is a great time to make some head way in finding just the right school.
Here are her tips:
- Visit those colleges again where you have been accepted if still undecided. Many schools have special accepted student receptions.
- Spring break is a great time to visit schools. California schools' spring break is typically later and Washington schools' break is the week before Oregon's.
Things to do on a visit:
- Take the tour, attend the info session.
- Ask the tour guide (usually a student) why did you choose this school? What is your favorite thing about this school? What are weekends like? How many students (%) live on campus? What are the housing requirements?
- Pick up a recent copy of the college newspaper.
- Have lunch on campus.
- If not included in the tour: visit the library, rec facilities, student housing.
After the visit:
- What did you like? What did you not like?