Superfoods containing chia seeds, coconut and spirulina are growing in popularity and
making their way into grocery stores everywhere. We hear that they are good for us, but what makes them so healthy? "Healthy Grocery Girl" Megan Roosevelt, registered and licensed dietitian, joined us to show how to integrate these superfoods into everyday life.
- Chia seeds are rich in heart hearty Omega-3 Fatty Acids and contain magnesium, amino acids and other healthy minerals
- Chia seeds have five times the calcium as milk, 3 times the iron of spinach and 2 times the protein of any other seed or grain
- Chia seeds provide 4 grams of fiber per 1 tablespoon serving!
- How To Eat: A serving size of chia seeds is 1 tablespoon. Add to yogurt, smoothies, beverages, baked goods or salads!
- Rich in Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCTs), a saturated fatty acid that the body uses for energy, not storage
- Coconut can help raise HDL (good cholesterol) and lower LDL (bad cholesterol)
- Coconut can help manage weight and improve weight loss
- How To Eat: Use coconut butter and coconut oil in cooking, baking or in place of butter on toast. Add coconut milk and coconut water to smoothies!
- A blue-green algae high in protein!
- Helps naturally cleanse and detoxify the body
- Contains B vitamins, vitamin D, vitamin K, vitamin E, calcium, chromium, copper, iodine, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, selenium and zinc.
- How To Eat: Add a serving of Spirulina powder or Greens powder containing Spirulina to smoothies, beverages, soups, sauces or baked goods! You can also take Spirulina tablets.