Real Estate Expert Tammy Beckley had the following tips for people trying to sell their home in today's tough economy.
1. Crme Puffs Sell!: In this market it's the properties that look perfect that are selling. If it's important to you to sell now, you have to take the time and incur the expense to make your home look it's absolute best.
2. You never have a second chance to make a first impression: Make the entry path, entryway, front door, plantings and entry lighting as beautiful as possible. It is here that people have to wait a few minutes for their broker to access the house key, open the door etc spider webs, burned out entry lights, chipped door paint, un-swept porches etc are all they are looking at during this time!
3. Neutralize your home: People have less of a vision than you would think. Dcor should appeal to a wide audience.
4. Be show ready: When you know you are having a showing, have all lights on, draperies open to views, windows cracked for fresh air, low music playing, dogs and cats outside etc. It ruins a precious selling moment if the Broker has to excuse themselves and quickly run through the house doing all of this upon first entering the home.
5. Price it right. The first time!: This does not mean underpricing but, price competitively, be the "low hanging fruit" and then do not negotiate far off of your asking price when an offer comes in. Your broker will be able to defend your price aggressively and buyers will easily see they are getting a great value even if they potentially have to pay full price. You might even start a bidding war and get more than you listed at!
6. Don't let an agent "buy" your listing: Chose your agent based upon their ability to market your home, not because they have given you the highest value of all the agents you interviewed.