Independent College Consultent, Marie Morris, is also the mother of 2 kids currently in college. That makes her an expert in putting together awesome care packages. She stopped by to share her tips.
What makes a great care package?
Anything personal from home! Some of my favorites:
- birthday cake with 18 layers, the frosting and utensils included
- maple bars to the East coast (Dunkin Doughnuts doesn't serve them)
- stickers, bookmarks or shirt from Powell's
- Kink live cd
- Favorite recipe (or a binder of family recipes)
- Tomatoes and cucumbers from the garden
- Homemade jam, or anything homemade! My son won't share the huckleberry jam as he is sure his roommates won't appreciate it!
- Box filled with plastic Easter eggs filled with candies.
- Picture in a frame of family members or pets. We send pictures over Facebook and text, and a printed picture from home is a great decoration.
Is your child not coming home for Spring Break? Did they leave stuff at a friend's house over the break? Send a little Oregon or Portland to the family hosting -- think local museum shops or specialty Oregon stores.
For helpful tips on helping your kids prepare for college, check out Marie's blog.