Cambra committed suicide, medical examiner says

OREGON CITY, Ore. - Lawrence Cambra, the man suspected of killing Oregon City reserve police officer Robert Libke, died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound, the state medical examiner said Tuesday.

Cambra shot himself in the chest, according to the medical examiner. He was also shot by two deputies during a confrontation with SWAT team members after shooting Libke, investigators said.

It's unclear how many times he was shot. The Clackamas County deputies who shot Cambra are on paid administrative leave, which is standard procedure.

People who knew Cambra, 88, said he had a history of violent behavior.

Cambra was shot and killed Sunday after he killed Oregon City reserve officer Robert Libke, police said.

Bill Cook said he once saw Cambra get mad enough to grab his gun.

Cook said about 10 years ago at the mobile home Cambra used to live in, a painting crew asked Cambra to move his car.

"(They were) trying to avoid getting paint on his car," Cook said. "But he wouldn't move his car and then they just got mad at him. And he got - turned around and got his gun and threatened them."

Cook said things got even uglier when somebody complained about the homing pigeons Cambra kept on the property behind the mobile home park.

Rather than sell them or give them away, Cambra got violent, Cook said.

"They said something to him that made him mad, so he went down there and killed them," Cook said. "He killed his own birds. That's the type of guy he was.

"The guy was - I would say he was bonkers."

A woman named Marlene Baily said she dated Cambra for 24 years, until they broke up in 2006.

She said the retired nuclear submarine supervisor was a meticulous caregiver who could be controlling.

"It's hard to understand ... hard to accept," she said. "I don't know. I don't understand it."

Cook said he learned to steer clear of Cambra.

"I avoided him," Cook said. "I knew what he was capable of. So - he wouldn't say a thing to you, he'd just go get a gun and shoot you."