Man beaten over cigarette refusal, police say

GRESHAM, Ore. - Four people are under arrest after police say they beat a man with a "razor" scooter for refusing to give them a cigarette.

One of those arrested, Francisco Angel-Silva, 19, faces assault charges for the attack that happened in the area of Southeast 162nd Avenue and Stark Tuesday, March 18.

The 24-year-old victim, Tyler Valenti, told police that three teenagers came up to him and asked him for a cigarette, according to court documents. When he said "no" they started attacking him with the scooter and a metal crutch.

The suspects fled and police later found Angel-Silva and a 14-year-old suspect nearby.

Valenti's mother told KATU her son is developmentally disabled and is on disability.

Valenti was badly injured in the attack and was in a great deal of pain. He could barely tell a responding police officer what had happened, court documents said. He was bleeding heavily from his head, elbow and face.

He told police there were at least eight people involved in the attack.

Officers found a bloody scooter and bloody broken crutch at the scene.

Police also obtained video of the attack taken from a surveillance camera from a nearby market. That video clearly shows it wasn't a fair fight. A group of at least four people ganged up on their victim. Several people came out of the store to see what was happening, and that was when the group ran off.

The court documents say when officers interviewed the 14-year-old he admitted that he and Angel-Silva beat the victim. Angel-Silva would only admit to police he was with the 14-year-old before and after the attack.

At least two other suspects were arrested, according to a Multnomah County deputy district attorney.

Cheimy Matos appeared in court Friday on assault charges.

Another suspect, a 16-year-old, was arrested and will be charged as an adult, according to the prosecutor.

The deputy district attorney said the victim is in fair condition but has a fractured skull, broken bones in his face and a broken arm.

The DA is not sure at this time whether Valenti actually had a cigarette.

Angel-Silva is being held on $255,000 bail.

Police are still searching for other suspects who got away.

CORRECTION: The previous mug shot we had for Francisco Angel-Silva was the incorrect person. We regret the error.