Police: 1 person shot at Vancouver health office, suspect in custody

VANCOUVER, Wash. - Authorities said a 45-year-old man was shot and wounded Tuesday afternoon inside a county public health building and a suspect was taken into custody.

According to a spokesperson for the Portland Veterans Administration, the building where the shooting occurred is on the Vancouver campus of the Portland VA Medical Center.

The spokesperson said one of its employees was injured during the incident and taken to the hospital.

The building is in the 1600 block of East Fourth Plain Boulevard, and the shooting occurred on the fourth floor of Building 17, which is the Center for Community Health.

Vancouver police spokeswoman Kim Kapp said the person shot suffered a non-life threatening injury. She also said the suspect, a woman, was injured while security detained her. She was held down by several people.

Kapp said no one else was being sought as a suspect.

According to Clark County Sheriff's Office spokesman Sgt. Fred Neiman, two people were injured, one of whom is a 45-year-old man who Neiman described as a victim. He was taken to the hospital with unknown injuries.

He said the shooting happened just before 4 p.m.

The complex was in lockdown so witnesses could be interviewed, and staff was moved to another building to be questioned.

According to KATU's news partners at The Columbian, an armed employee reportedly held the suspect down.

The newspaper said the suspect is a middle-aged woman with blond hair and wearing gray pants and a blue blouse.

The sheriff's office said the suspect is 46 years old and was taken to the hospital. The sheriff's office refused to discuss the nature of the woman's injury.

The suspect was taken into custody, according to the sheriff's office.

A large police response responded and surrounded the building.

The spokesperson for the VA center said the campus will be open Wednesday and veterans are encouraged to keep their appointments. But the VA VISN offices were the shooting occurred will be closed.

This is the second workplace shooting in Vancouver in as many days. On Monday, police said a driver for Benjamin Moore Paints shot and killed a manager at that business and then fatally shot himself.

This story will be updated when more information becomes available.